New to Idaho?

There are important items to take care of to become an offical resident of Idaho. These include:

Idaho Transportation Department Registration/Plates

  • If you're going to be living in Idaho for at least 90 days continually, you'll need to register your out-of-state car with the Idaho DMV. This applies only if your Idaho address is your principal place of residence.
  • Depending on the Idaho county you reside in, you may need to have your vehicle inspected.

Idaho Transportation Department Driver’s License and Identification Card Information

  • If you have an out-of-state driver's license, you'll need to transfer it for an Idaho license within 90 days of moving to the state. If you have a commercial driver's license (CDL), you will only have 30 days to transfer it over.
  • NOTE: You do not need an ID driver's license if you're only in Idaho temporarily to attend college/university or to fulfill your military obligations.

Moved within Idaho?

Notify the Idaho DMV of a change in address to be reflected on your driver's license and car registration.


People in a cafe with glass windows

State Job Openings

Woman wearing red sweater typing on laptop
Woman wearing yellow ear protection cover

Labor Market Information


Large conference table with tall chairs in meeting room

Business Incentives & Financing

Renew a Professional License

hands typing on a laptop keyboard


Idaho Department of Education seal with picture of two children sitting in front of playground equipment

State Department of Education

Idaho State Board of Education

Idaho State Board of Education logo on top of a picture of graduates throwing their caps in the air
Boise State blue football field and stands

Public Colleges & Universities

Private Colleges & Universities

Domed roof with windows