Established February 4, 1864 by the Idaho Territorial Legislature with its county seat at Lewiston. Named for the Nez Perce Indians who occupied the area before the white man. Previously established by the Territorial Legislature of Washington in 1861. This was one of the four original Idaho counties in 1863 from which all 44 have been carved. The present boundaries of Nez Perce County were set in 1911. Lewis and Clark were the first white men in the area in 1805. Lewiston served as the territorial capital for twenty-two months before the capital was moved to Boise.
County Seat: Lewiston